Party Food: Iced Sugar Cookies

I thought I’d write a few posts about party food, seeing as Ava & Molly’s party is this saturday and I have party food on my mind πŸ™‚

Iced sugar cookies are an easy way to brighten up a party. They are quick to make, have that ‘wow’ factor and kids absolutely love them (although parents might not like sugar after-effects on their children πŸ™‚ )

I use Peggy Porchsen’s recipe which makes about 25 medium cookies

200g unsalted butter

200g caster sugar

1 egg lightly beaten

400g plain flour

and then I also used a capful of vanilla extract.

Time to get out my trusty KitchenAid and add the sugar and butter. Unlike cakes, where you cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, you want to mix both ingredients until it just starts to become creamy and change colour. We are not looking to create air in our cookies and if we were to overbeat, the cookies would spread when we baked them in the oven.

Next we beat in the egg and slowly add the sifted flour until everything is combined and a dough has formed

Then it is time to wrap our cookie dough in cling wrap and refridgerate for an hour.

The reason why it is important to refridgerate cookie dough is that it gives the gluten from the flour time to relax. The more you mix flour, the more gluten develops and this will result in rubbery cookies. So… rest your cookie dough for at least 30 mins.

Next it is time to roll our dough

I like to roll my dough between two pieces of baking paper as it stops the dough sticking to the rolling pin.

I’m going to make farm animal cookies later on in the week, but today I wanted to make circular cookies with the children’s names on them that I can attach to their party bags. To be able to attach these, I needed to make a small hole at the top of the cookie using a skewer so that I can use it thread the ribbon/string through.

At this point you can refridgerate your cookies for another 30mins (if you can be bothered πŸ™‚ ), or just place them in a preheated oven for about 10-12 mins.

While the cookies were baking, I made up a batch of royal icing by mixing 2 eggwhites, 500g icing sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice. I whipped them using my whipping attachment for about 4-5mins.

Royal icing is basically used in 3 consistencies…. stiff-peak (for piping flowers), soft-peak (for outlinines, borders & dots) and runny consistency (for filling in the centres of spaces). I find it easiest to make my royal icing stiff-peak and then watering it down to either soft-peak or running consistency using a few drops of water.

I put some white icing to the side and then used the remaining red food colouring to get as vibrant a red as possible, and found that the liquid of the colouring was enough to get a soft-peak consistency.

I filled up my piping bag and piped an outline on the cookies and also an outline around the hole at the top.

After some practice, you will easily work out how to get the right consistency of icing. If the icing is too stiff, then your outline will start breaking off. If it is too runny, you simply wont be able to pipe a line.

I then added some water to my red icing to get running consistency and filled up an empty squeezie bottle (I purchased a few of these off ebay).

Time to fill the cookies!

I find it is easy to use a toothpick to help spread the icing to the borders

Once you have iced all of the cookies it is really imporant to let them dry out in the oven. To do this, place the oven on the lowest setting (mine is 50 degrees) and let them sit there for 30mins or thereabouts. It wont be a disaster if you forget this step, but it will mean your cookies start to become quite moist from the icing.

While my cookies were drying I got my white icing to the right consistency (soft-peak) and had a few practice runs at writing. Piping words are not my specialty!! But I figure kids wont be able to tell the difference πŸ™‚

, , , , , ,

16 Responses to Party Food: Iced Sugar Cookies

1. Amy Mangan March 13, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Wow Bronny… Will 3 beautiful, busy girls you can still find the time (& energy) to take photos of every step you took!!!!!!!!!! Will have to show Tim that you have a Kitchen Aid – There will be mixer envy in our household!!!
    Hope you’re all well xo

2. nell March 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

What are you talking about – The names look terrific!! The cookies look absolutely fantastic Bron, love the red too x

3. Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies March 14, 2011 at 2:18 am #

Wow, your cookies look great! Believe me, if I had done them, they wouldn’t have looked half as nice. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

• Bronniebakes March 14, 2011 at 6:25 am #

Thanks Lisa
      Have linked my cookies up (and a few other things) and added your site as a link. Thanks for stopping by!

4. Emma August 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Mmmm i tried these and they are lovely. They worked perfectly for my baby shower biscuits!

Thanks

Emma

• BronnieBakes Admin August 19, 2012 at 9:20 am #

That’s great to hear Emma!

X

5. Kim October 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Hey Bron,
    I’ve made this recipe probably 10 times and I love it thanks!
    I’ve just made a double batch for some friends events next week but am wondering have you ever kept the doughin the fridge overnight and made the cookies the next day…i so can’t be bothered doing the rest tonight but don’t want to ruin the dough?
    Thanks!
    Kim

6. BronnieBakes Admin October 7, 2012 at 8:11 am #

No problem Kim πŸ™‚

Yep, I have definitely done that! You can actually freeze cookie dough, although I haven’t tried that yet.

7. Anna November 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Hi Bron,

Thank you for sharing all your great tips and recipes! I’m making your Octonauts cake for my sons 3rd birthday and I’m also planning on making some of these cookies. On one of your party planning posts you mentioned that you start making cookies 5 days out from the party. Is this using this recipie and if so are they ok stored at room temperature with royal icing for this amount time?

Thanks again,
    Anna.

• BronnieBakes Admin November 18, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Hi Anna πŸ™‚

Yes, absolutely you can make the cookies 5 days out. I cover mine in fondant now, and usually cover them about 3-4 days out from the party. I’m not 100% sure about royal icing and how long it last for, given the egg white?? I would probably leave it until 2 days before the party to ice the cookies.

You can also make the cookies much more in advance and freeze them

8. Ursula June 6, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Hi Bron,
    Let me tell you that I love your page! You have awesome ideas!
    I have a question… Is caster sugar the same as confectione’s sugar? There is no caster sugar here. Please let me know, I would love to make this recipe.

Thanks,
    Ursula

• BronnieBakes Admin June 7, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Hi Ursula!

Thankyou so much for your lovely comments.

I have a feeling that confectioner’s sugar is what we call icing sugar… is that the powdered sugar?? Castor sugar is like plain granulated sugar but it is finer… so there are still granules, but not as big as with normal white sugar.

I hope that makes sense!!

• Ursula June 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks Bron, i just processed regular sugar, what I’m trying to find is the oven temperature for the cookies and couldn’t find them. Can you please let me know? Thanks! πŸ™‚

• BronnieBakes Admin June 17, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Hi Ursula

I bake mine on around 160-180 degrees celsius

hope that helps!

1. A Sweet Kitchen Tea | SEVENo1 Designs - June 15, 2013

[…] I found the recipe via Bronnie Bakes. […]

2. Molly’s Gruffalo Party | - December 5, 2013

[…] Vanilla cookiesΒ on sticks which I’ve nicknamed ‘Lumpy McBumpy’… can you tell they were the last thing I made?? The gorgeous tin is from Ikea (such a bargain at $2.99!!) […]