The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Molly’s 2nd birthday cake)

Here is the finished product for Molly’s birthday cake…. given she eats more than the average adult, I thought that a Very Hungry Caterpillar Cake would be most appropriate!!

(To view a full themed party that I hosted later on in the year, click here,Β to see a tutorial for the caterpillar topper click here and for the food, click here,Β here & here)

I started by mixing different colours to use as the border and then stamping out circles. I let these dry for a few days so that I wouldn’t lose the circle shape.

I didn’t have enough room to stick all of the food onto the cake…in hindsight, I probably should have made the food much smaller so that the cake didn’t look so bulky. Anyway – the food wasn’t too difficult to make…I just used a selection of circle cutters, or cut the food out freehand using a knife. I had a mini circle cutter which I used to make a small hole in each piece of food (to resemble the caterpillar eating his way through the food).

(don’t know why I decided to put the gerkin upside down!)

The caterpillar was made using marbled green icing (ie, mixing a few different shades of green to get a marbled look), and then I made flattened circle shapes and squished them together. I placed the caterpillar on some baking paper and left it to harden for a few days (making sure that I had placed a toothpick at both ends so I had something to ‘stick’ into the cake).

The cake had a top tier of dark chocolate mud (torted with Italian Meringue Buttercream) and the bottom tier was caramel mud cake torted with my special filling.

, , ,

17 Responses to The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Molly’s 2nd birthday cake)

1. Sheridan April 23, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

I do not see any flaws…it is amazing Bron … I am sure Miss Molly the hungry caterpillar will love it. Have a great weekend xx

2. Mama J April 23, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

So sweet. The “baby’s room” for my girls was the Hungry Caterpillar when they were little. What a beautiful cake.

3. carolinaheartstrings April 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

That is just a sensational cake. We love the hungry caterpillar at our house!!!

4. FaithAndDaisies April 24, 2011 at 1:56 am #

I work with kids and The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of my favorite books, this cake is perfect and completely does the book justice!

5. Jenn@eatcakefordinner April 24, 2011 at 7:27 am #

What an amazing cake. I love all the bright colors and fun shapes. I love the lollipop!

6. Jacqueline April 24, 2011 at 8:37 am #

What a fantastic cake. I can’t believe how cute it is! All of the fun things all around the cake and that fabulous caterpillar.
    Have a wonderful Easter.

7. Marlene April 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

wow, what a beautiful cake! πŸ™‚

8. LilaLoa April 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

What’s NOT to love? The colors are bright and the lines are clean. Its a great cake!

9. Hezzi-D April 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm #

This cake is amazing! It beautiful yet simple. You didn’t overkill it like so many people do and it makes it a stunning cake!

10. Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies April 26, 2011 at 2:47 am #

Wow, you have an amazing talent. Your cake is so pretty. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

11. michelle April 26, 2011 at 8:32 am #

This is my 19 month old daughter’s favorite book. You did a BEAUTIFUL job on the cake. I just love your replica of the caterpillar on top. You have one blessed little girl! πŸ™‚

12. Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies April 29, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Your cake made the hit list for last week’s Sweets for a Saturday. Congrats!!!

13. Tam Thomas February 5, 2012 at 8:28 am #

HI Bronnie
    i just love this cake. i showed my best mate and i’m now in charge of making this for her sons first birthday! wow! If it wasnt for your tutorials, id be lost! haha! thanks. What size tins did you use for this cake?
    Cheers

tam

• BronnieBakes Admin February 5, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Thanks Tam πŸ™‚ I used an 8″ and a 6″

14. Melanie Smith November 10, 2012 at 7:09 am #

Hi Bronnie, have made all the food and the caterpillar topper so now turning my attention to the cake! Going to try out your white chocolate mud cake recipe tonight to see how it adapts to being coloured… Just a quick question – what sizes are the two different tiers for this cake and did you use anything to stack them? Thanks Melanie x

• BronnieBakes Admin November 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Hi Melanie!

I made 8″ and 6″ cakes and I used wooden dowels as support when stacking them – exactly like this video. Hope it helps!

1. about Sweets for a Saturday #15 | food - June 12, 2013