How to make Panda Cupcakes (Part 2 of 4 Zoo Animal Tutorials)

Following on from the Hippo cupcakes are Panda Bears… these are really simple to make and look really effective.

Begin by rolling out some white fondant and cutting out a circle the same size as your cupcake. Paste some apricot/hot water mix over the cupcake and stick your white circle on top.

Roll out a ball of fondant for the panda’s mouth and flatten.

Mark 4 dots using a toothpick where the mouth is going to go, and then indent lines for the mouth using a blunt knife.

Roll out a small ball of black fondant for the nose and then straighten to form a triangle. Glue onto your mouth and then glue the mouth onto the cupcake.

Roll two balls of black fondant into ovals and flatten and then attach to the cupcake.

Roll out and flatten some smaller white balls to go onto the black eyes, and then some tiny black balls as pupils and stick to your cupcake.

Roll out 2 black ‘sausages’ for the eyebrows. Glue onto the cupcake and then make 2 indentations next to the eyebrows for ears.

Roll out 2 black teardrop shaped pieces and then glue into the indentations you’ve made on the cupcake.

Ava (3 yrs old) helped me make her version of the panda bear

Gotta love a scrunched up ‘camera smile’

(of course Lily had to lend a hand!)

Done!!

10 Responses to How to make Panda Cupcakes (Part 2 of 4 Zoo Animal Tutorials)

1. Karen Thomson May 20, 2011 at 8:55 am #

They’re so cute Bronnie! Love your blog!

2. Sheridan May 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm #

SO clever…I have a big soft spot for Ava! x

3. Alyssa May 22, 2011 at 6:53 am #

Hi! I’m having a linky party called A Themed Baker’s Sunday where this week’s theme is cheesecake! I’d love for you to join and link up! If you don’t have a cheesecake recipe, I’d love for you to come back for this next weeks theme, which is tomorrow, and it’s cakes and cake pops!
    Alyssa

4. Paula May 22, 2011 at 7:25 am #

These are the sweetest looking cupcakes and what a great tutorial. Love it when you show the kids

5. kristine May 22, 2011 at 7:55 am #

so unbelivably cute!

6. kristine May 22, 2011 at 8:22 am #

In response to your comment on my blog (wanted to make sure you saw it so posting here)

I’ve found chocolate does work but if you can get chocolate flavour cake covering that works slightly better as it tends to have a thinner consistency when melted. but baking chocolate works too

You can get candy melts in the uk online but they are so expensive

Im only just getting good at cake pops now after a few disasters so keep with them

7. Jenn@eatcakefordinner May 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

These are so cute – I love them!

8. Katie @ This Chick Cooks May 25, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

These are so cool. You must be very talented to do all of these designs 🙂 I’d love for you to come and share these pandas at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a blessed day, Bronnie 🙂
    Katie

9. Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies May 27, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

I just LOVE your cupcakes. Wish I had your talent. Thanks for linking it up to Sweets for a Saturday.

10. kristine May 28, 2011 at 6:56 am #

Hey no its not fondant, chocolate cake covering is basicly just like chocolate and they sell it in the baking section of my supermarket – not sure exactly what it is and the difference between it and choclate