How to make Tiger Cupcakes (Part 3 of 4 Zoo Animal tutorials)

Of all the zoo animal tutorials, Lily has been most excited about these tiger cupcakes and for the last week I have been hearing most mornings, ‘But you promised we were going to make tiger cupcakes TOOODDDAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!’.

Along with the Panda and Hippo cupcake tutorials, these cupcakes will make a fantastic addition to any zoo themed party (or they will make an exciting morning tea 🙂  )

I coloured my white fondant with Americolor’s ‘Electric Orange’ and used a premixed black fondant.

To start, roll out your orange fondant, cut out a circle the same size as your cupcake, and attach using apricot jam.

(the orange is so bright you need to squint 🙂  )

Roll a ball of fondant for the mouth and using a blunt knife or modelling tool, create the mouth and cheeks.

Attach it to the cupcake and using a toothpick, mark in the cheeks.

Roll a small ball of red fondant into a teardrop shape, and using a ball tool, indent and then squeeze one end and attach to the cupcake.

(I have also added a small triangle of black fondant for the nose)

Make the eyes using flattened balls of white and black fondant.

Indent holes at the top of the cupcake for the ears, and roll up two small balls of orange as you did for the tongue (ie, make an indent using a ball tool, and then squeeze one end)

Roll out your black fondant and cut out triangles for the stripes before gluing onto the cake.

Lily was most definitely up for the challenge of recreating the tiger cupcakes and did a fabulous job! The only reason the stripes are where they are is because Lily decided it looked much better 🙂 (oh yes… the teenage years are going to be soooo much fun!)

Stay tuned for the Lion tutorial up next.

This post was linked to Sweets for a Saturday

18 Responses to How to make Tiger Cupcakes (Part 3 of 4 Zoo Animal tutorials)

1. Jeanie Coltart May 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Your tiger cupcakes are adorable! You’re so talented with baking, from what I’ve seen on your website here!

2. Happier Than A Pig in Mud May 28, 2011 at 8:38 am #

They are really cute! Happy Memorial Day Weekend:@)

3. Jenn@eatcakefordinner May 28, 2011 at 10:10 am #

These are absolutely perfect. You make them sound so easy. I love the idea of a zoo-themed party!

4. Chels R. May 28, 2011 at 11:11 am #

That is so cool. I wish I had been taught to learn this at such a young and fun age! What lucky kiddos to have such a cool mom!

5. Katie @ This Chick Cooks May 28, 2011 at 11:29 am #

How adorable and your little helper is pretty cute too. Thanks for showing off your tigers at These Chicks Cook 🙂 I hope you can come by with another great recipe Wednesday. Have a fantastic weekend, Bronnie!
    Katie

6. Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies June 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

Seriously, can you like give me some of your talent? Fantastic job. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

7. rickki June 14, 2011 at 6:32 am #

these are just so cute!
    its my nephews birthday soon and im planning on making these, the panda and the tiger cupcakes for his zoo themed party…
    Waiting for the 4th cupcake – sure it will impress…
    Your kids area adorable!
    Thanks

8. Niusha Hadziomerovic December 15, 2012 at 3:13 am #

I love the tiger toppers you made the tutorial for here. I’ve never worked with fondant or made such a thing, but you’ve inspired me to make these for my daughter’s birthday party next week. Could you please tell me how much time you think it would take a newbie like me to make about 24 of them?

• BronnieBakes Admin December 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

Hi Niusha

thankyou for your comment! I think I would allow at least 2-4 hours to make them. You can make them the day before, or you could make the tiger faces on circles of fondant well in advance and then just push them down on your icing. like these cupcakes (the A ones) http://bronniebakes.com/2012/03/18/ava/

• Niusha Hadziomerovic June 27, 2013 at 12:45 am #

Your estimate was right on. They were worth the time it took, they were a hit at the party though most kids didn’t find the fondant all that delicious. I will need to find a better tasting recipe (i.e. not coming out of a box) for their liking the next time we pursue such an endeavor! Thank you again for posting!

9. Simran April 9, 2013 at 12:32 am #

Hey Bronnie! 🙂
    I am totally awed at your creativity and talent! :O
    So, how do you do it all? 😉
    Could you give me some ideas for a dentist’s cake? (My mum runs a business)
    And yeah, your kids are just he cutest!! 😀

10. Simran April 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Hey!
    Thanks a lot for those links!
    Much appreciated! 😀
    Waiting for your tutorial to the passengers of ‘the wiggles’ car! 🙂

• BronnieBakes Admin April 9, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

I actually ran out of time so didn’t make them! Sorry!

11. Yuliya September 4, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Thank you so much for this post. My daughter requested the Tigers and Cheetahs birthday party, so your tutorial came very handy. I had to improvise on the cheetahs because their faces are a it more complex, but in the end they all turned out well. I made cupcake toppers instead of covering the cupcake. Will use them on top of the frosting.
    Here are the pics:

• Yuliya September 4, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

cheetahs

• BronnieBakes Admin September 5, 2013 at 9:00 am #

they look fantastic!!!!! Amazing job – you have done so well.

Thankyou so much for sharing and I’m so glad the tutorial was useful

1. Cheetahs and Tigers and Cupcakes, Oh My! | Eat Already! - September 9, 2013

[…] was how. With tigers, I found my answer very quickly. This wonderful site, Bronnie Bakes, had a very nice tutorial on making fondant cupcake toppers in a shape of a tiger. Cheetahs were trickier, any mention of […]