Tiffany birthday cake

Yesterday was one of my gorgeous friend’s birthdays (let’s just say she was turning 25…)

Here she is with her gorgeous kidlets…

I had a few girlfriends around with their kids and decided to make small white chocolate mudcake to celebrate.

I covered the cake in tiffany blue fondant (turquoise colouring from the Americolor range) and then using a small circle cutter, cut out white polka dots (which are fantastic to use to cover any mistakes!)

I made a ruffle flower on top, which was done by cutting 3 circles of different sizes and ruffling them as I did for the Fairy Cake I made a few months ago (ie, with a toothpick).

To cover the seam, I cut out a trip of white fondant by rolling out a long sausage and then flattening that with the rolling pin. I used a ribbon cutter to make sure that I cut an even width and then attached it to the base of the cake using some water. I will show you how to make the ribbon at a later date, but it is basically a strip of fondant looped at both ends and attached with a strip of fondant over the middle.

I did cut the cake in half and attempt to make a raspberry filling, but something didn’t work and it ended up being a sloppy mess 🙂 so I decided that it would be fine without a filling.

I used the following white chocolate recipe which is not my recipe, but unfortunately I cannot remember where I found it (sorry to not be able to credit the true source!)

375g (13oz) white chocolate
250g (9oz) butter
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs beaten
125g (4 1/2oz) self-raising flour
188g (7oz) plain flour

Pre heat oven to 160 C (145 F)
1. Grease your cake tin and line the base and sides of the pan with baking paper.
2. Place the chocolate, butter, milk and sugar in a large saucepan (you will be using the saucepan to mix the cake batter) place over a low heat and stir frequently until the chocolate and butter have melted. Stir until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Allow the mixture to cool to blood temperature – you should be able to place your finger in the mixture without it feeling hot. If you don’t allow the mixture to cool sufficiently you will cook the eggs in the next stage and you will have to start again.
4. Add the vanilla and eggs to the cooled chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
5. Combine the flours together and sift.
6. Add one cup of flour to the chocolate mixture and stir well, repeat the process and add the remaining flour and stir until smooth until lump free.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan – it will be quite “runny”.
8. Bake in the oven of about 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
9. If you find that the cake is browning too much cover loosely with aluminium foil.
10. Once cooked remove from the oven, leave the cake in the tin to cool completely.

I used this recipe with my 6″ cake tin and there was enough left over to make about 7 cupcakes.

It was delicious!!!

, , , ,

27 Responses to Tiffany birthday cake

1. Sheridan August 27, 2011 at 9:24 am #

Happy Birthday Katie! – wow beautiful children. Bron, looks delicious…hope you all had a lovely day x

2. Shirley August 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

The color of that fondant is so pretty, and the polka dots are adorable.

3. Kristen Cook August 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Oh happy birthday lovely Katie! x Yum yum Bronnie!

4. MySweetCreations August 28, 2011 at 12:45 am #

Beautiful!

5. Grace August 30, 2011 at 5:39 am #

What a beautiful cake you made for your friend! It looks like it came straight from a magazine! I love finding good homemade recipes online – so much better than store bought! I wrote down your recipe, and I think I’ll try making this sometime! Of course, I don’t believe I could get it to turn out quite as good as yours! Haha!

6. Kate September 3, 2011 at 7:12 am #

Such a stunning cake and such a beautiful day! How lucky am I to have a friend like you!

7. Andrea August 18, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

Hello

This cake is awesome. I am making your hungry caterpillars cake for my son’s 1st birthday and am doing an 8inch and 6 inch cake. Is that what you did? Please can you let me know what inch cake this recipe makes. With thanks

• BronnieBakes Admin August 19, 2013 at 11:05 am #

HI Andrea

Thankyou!

Yes – that is exactly what I used. They are my standard sizes 🙂

I usually use one batch of my recipe (see on the index page) for the 8 inch so that it is nice and high, and then I use another batch for the 6″ and the leftover batter I use for cupcakes or a smaller cake.

8. Fiona June 8, 2014 at 6:30 am #

Hi bronnie
    just wondering if you have an other recipes for fondant covered cakes? Or do you just do mud cakes? These recipes work great but I did a carrot cake that was too dry, a do bake gluten free so I always need to alter the recipe but I find your muds work well and still taste good after a few days because there is so much liquid.

9. Jessie November 8, 2014 at 9:43 am #

Hi Bronnie. I’ve really been studying your blog/recipes/cakes and have learned so much from it! You have been such a great help and inspiration for me 🙂

I just want to ask quickly, when you do a non-tier cake like this one above, do you always just use a single layer of cake or do you sometimes torte and fill the one layer?

And how about the top layers of say a 2 or 3 tiered cake, do you torte & fill those ones?

Thank you again for great tutorials! xx

• BronnieBakes Admin November 9, 2014 at 4:24 pm #

Hi Jessie 🙂

It really depends on my mood and who the cake is for! Most of the time because they are just gifts for friends and family I just go with what is easiest and don’t bother torting and filling a cake. Sometimes though, if I need to add height I will fill it specifically for that reason.

With a 2-3 tier cake I would usually only torte and fill one tier.. definitely not all of them!! But again, it depends on who the cake is for and whether I can be bothered with it!

10. Kayla November 27, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

Hi I have just came across your blog. I’m in love. Made this cake today ( 2 batches to make a tall cake) and will decorate tomorrow. How do I store it until then? It’s sitting in a container on bench but I noticed its started drying out around the edges.

• BronnieBakes Admin November 27, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

Thanks Kayla for your gorgeous message 🙂

I would just put it in the fridge.. or you can freeze it overnight and defrost it tomorrow and it will moisten it a little. All the best!!! x

11. Kayla November 27, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

12. Kayla November 28, 2014 at 8:31 am #

I will try and post a photo today of the finished ruffle cake =)

13. Catherine May 10, 2015 at 12:12 pm #

If I was wanting to make a milk chocolate mud cake could I use the white choc mud cake recipe with milk choc instead of the white choc?

• BronnieBakes Admin May 12, 2015 at 6:57 am #

Hi Catherine 🙂

I’ve never tried it, but I think that would be fine!

14. Marija June 2, 2015 at 2:52 pm #

Hi,
    I wanted to make a white chocolate, raspberry and coconut cake for my daughter’s birthday to cover with fondant. If I added some coconut and essence to the batter and then raspberries to the cake before baking, do you think it will be too sloppy to cover with fondant? I like the sound of raspberries to break up the sweetness and I’m ok with cake making but fondant is a new thing for me! Thanks!!

• BronnieBakes Admin June 3, 2015 at 10:37 am #

Sounds yummy!!!! I am really bad at answering questions like that!! Because you are adding in some more liquid ingredients you will probably need to add in some dry ingredients to compensate… so flour, but I’d have no idea how much! Sorry I can’t help more

15. Chloe March 3, 2016 at 9:51 pm #

Thank you so much for this website. I keep coming back year after year for the same recipes every time my boys birthdays are due 😀

• BronnieBakes Admin March 7, 2016 at 10:11 am #

Yay!!! that is awesome

16. Yvette July 11, 2016 at 10:44 pm #

Is the sugar amount correct? 1/4 of a cup, doesn’t seem enough

• BronnieBakes Admin July 12, 2016 at 7:57 am #

Hi Yvette – yes it is because there is such a large quantity of white chocolate, the remaining sweetness comes from that.

17. renee farrugia December 3, 2016 at 9:49 pm #

do you put anything on and around the cake before u put the fondant on ? like ganache

• BronnieBakes Admin December 5, 2016 at 6:45 am #

HI Renee – yes I cover with ganache before using fondant

18. renee farrugia December 6, 2016 at 4:58 pm #

Ok thanks bronnie u r very helpful.another question i cooked the white chocolate cake today for the 15th of december as u said i can cook it in advance but can u tell me how do i store it in freezer till then please? And when do i take it out to defrost and when do i put fondant on please? Thanks again