Zoe’s Very Hungry Caterpillar Party

To celebrate the first day of spring, I hosted a birthday party for a friend’s gorgeous 1 yr old, Zoe.

Because I’ve had a few requests for a tutorial for Molly’s Hungry Caterpillar cake, I decided to theme the whole party around the Very Hungry Caterpillar (click here to see a tutorial for the Caterpillar topper and here for the food tutorials)…

I made labels for the fruit at the front to represent the food that the caterpillar ate.. (a simple idea that is really effective)

(couldn’t find any plums, so grapes had to do!!)

(I sliced up the strawberries closer to the time of the party)

I made some carrot cupcakes and used some personalised toppers using Illustrator

I also made some juice labels in the different caterpillar colours

Rainbow jellies in 5 flavours (although the yellow/red/oranges are not that distinct)

Some TimTam biscuit pops which I’m not really that happy with, as the dipping/coating didn’t really go to plan!! But the idea was there 🙂

I used florist’s foam which I covered in paper and stuck ‘Zoe’ stickers on (designed in Illustrator), and the caterpillar’s features are made from fondant.

Some Lemon PushPops which were made using layers of vanilla cake, lemon curd and whipped cream in pushpop containers which I purchased off Ebay.

Popcorn which I put in plain cups with a printed label I made in Illustrator

Party favours including bubbles

‘Caterpillar food’, being vanilla cookies with green royal icing

and Playdo

Last but not least…. the cake!!!! An updated (and improved) version of Molly’s one!

, , ,

13 Responses to Zoe’s Very Hungry Caterpillar Party

1. Nell September 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

Bron, I don’t know how you do it – that is the most amazing kids’ party I’ve ever seen, seriously. You are so clever and creative.

2. Kristen Cook September 2, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

Is it wrong I want this entire spread for my next birthday?

3. Geoff Pound September 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

Can I book you in to do a Gruffalo theme party in November?

• BronnieBakes Admin September 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm #

The Gruffalo is next on my list!!

• Lyn Pound September 2, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

. . . and me for a Cat in the Hat one for May!

4. Rebecca September 3, 2011 at 8:19 am #

I am lost for words… that is so amazing Bron!!!!!

5. Katy Mulligan January 15, 2012 at 12:51 am #

Hello, I’m planning to throw my daughter a Very Hungry Caterpillar themed birthday and I was wondering where you purchased the tags and labels for everything. If you could please e-mail me with the information, I would greatly appreciate it.

6. Jill Duggan February 13, 2012 at 11:00 am #

I too would like to know where you purchased the tags.

• BronnieBakes Admin February 13, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Hi Jill

I made the tags in Illustrator using images from the net

Thanks
      Bronnie

7. katy March 14, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Hi Bron.

can you tell me what size cakes you used in the cake? Im just trying to decide what to use! My hands are currently a variety of colors from making the food and fruit for the cake!!!

• BronnieBakes Admin March 14, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Hi Katy

I used a 6″ and a 8″ cake. Can’t wait to see pics of the finished product!!!

• katy March 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Thankyou 🙂

I think ill stick with those sizes, planning a white choc and choc mud cake with ganache than fondant. Will share pics when its all done, party is in just under 2 weeks so thats why ive been doing the fondant!

1. Friday DIY: The Very Hungry Caterpillar Cake Topper Tutorial | - June 8, 2012

[…] Today I’m going to show you how to make the gorgeous caterpillar cake topper that was featured on the cake at Zoe’s Very Hungry Caterpillar Party. […]