Hungry Caterpillar Food Tutorial Part 1

I thought I’d break down the caterpillar food into a few tutorials. The first will show you how to make some of the yummiest food… the cheese, lollipop and icecream cone! The food we all know the caterpillar really wanted to eat more of.. just a shame he had to go through so much fruit to get there…

(you will notice a gap with the food because I didn’t correctly space it all out and I ran out of time to make some other items of food)

First up, make sure your fondant has been mixed with some tylo powder (or you are using gumpaste/sugarpaste.)

Start with some yellow fondant. Roll it out thinly and cut out a rectangle.

Using a small circle cutter or straw, start to make some holes in the cheese. Also use a toothpick to make a few tiny holes.

Place onto a tray lined with baking paper to harden.

To make the lollipop, roll out a thin ‘snake’ of blue and yellow fondant, leaving a skinnier end to the right.

Brush some water in between and stick the two lines of fondant together

Brush some water on the top side of the yellow fondant.

Curl the two snakes of fondant into a circle

Cut the end on an angle

Neaten up the end using your brush and some water

Roll out some brown fondant and cut a rectangle for the lollipop stick.

Place on your baking tray, flatten the top and brush with some water before placing the lollipop on top.

To make the icecream cone, roll out some pink fondant and cut out a small circle.

Slice off the bottom of the circle.

Roll out some brown fondant and cut out your ‘cone’ (I found it easier to measure the fondant next to the icecream to get the accurate size)

Using a matchstick, make the ‘waffle cone’ imprints

Place your cone on the baking tray and brush some water on the top before gently placing the icecream and cone together

Next tutorial will be on creating the gurkin, watermelon and cupcake, before the final tutorial for making the fruit.

20 Responses to Hungry Caterpillar Food Tutorial Part 1

1. Tam Thomas February 8, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

HI Bronnie (again!)
    just had a question about your cake and the food…. If you dried it flat on a baking sheet, how did you go sticking it to a curved surface? Did the food stick out? Someone suggested i should make the food and stick it on the cake straight away, but i answered that with how could i possibly make all of that in a day!!!
    Cheers
    Tam

• BronnieBakes Admin February 8, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

Hi Tam 🙂

Usually if i make something big, i will dry it on baking paper around the cake tin so that it dries curved. Because the caterpillar food is pretty small, i just dry it flat and haven’t had any problem. You definitely dont want to be making it all the day before!!!! Makes life easy to have everything premade. Make it all as early as possible!!

All the best!!
      Xx

2. a.k. February 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

How did you store it? In the fridge or at room temperature? I made my caterpillar today but the party isn’t for another week and 1/2

• BronnieBakes Admin February 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Definitely don’t store it in the fridge!! Fondant will sweat in the fridge, so just leave it to dry on some baking paper away from the sun

3. Ellen-Marie December 30, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Hi again Bronnie,

just a quick question on how to store all the food before I add it to my cake. The lady in the cake shop told me it is has to be in a cardboard box but I have a friend who says she just lets it dry then places it in a plastic takeaway container. I am starting the food tomorrow and the party isn’t for about 2 weeks. Any tips? Thanks again – Ellen-Marie

• BronnieBakes Admin December 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Hi Ellen-Marie 🙂

I dry mine on some baking paper on top of a tray or plastic lid like you see in the pic above. They will be fine like that as long as they are away from the sunlight. Although – once hardened you can easily put them in a plastic container. I wouldn’t use a cardboard box and have never heard that before!! But I don’t think it would matter if you did decide to use one.

Hope that helps! Happy to help if you have any other questions while making the food and cake

4. Gina April 17, 2013 at 7:24 am #

Hi bronnie,
    Just want to know how you get the decorations to stay dry/hard once made and stored. I stored a few the other day with baking paper and when I checked them they were stuck together. They were in sealed airtight containers so
    Just wondering why they sweat or go soft and what I can do to stop it?
    Thanks again!

• BronnieBakes Admin April 19, 2013 at 11:58 am #

HI Gina

You need to let them dry in the air to harden. They wont harden properly if you store them in an airtight container. I leave mine to dry on a tray away from the sun.

5. Nikki May 15, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Hi There, I just wanted to throw a quick THANK YOU your way. This was such a lovely tutorial. What seem like complicated pieces were broken down into simple steps and methods with limited amount of supplies needed. This was the first real cake I made out of fondant for my daughter’s first birthday. Talk about a hit!! Thank you so much!

• BronnieBakes Admin May 17, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Hi Nikki

oh WOW – what a wonderful job you have done!!!!! I am so happy for you that it turned out so well – well done for giving it a go and I cannot wait to see what you do next! thankyou for sharing your beautiful cake with me

6. Gloria August 23, 2013 at 4:46 am #

Hello! Lovely tutorial. This will be my first cake to ever make (my son’s first birthday). How much fondant would I need for what you have created?

Thanks!
    Gloria

• BronnieBakes Admin August 23, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

HI Gloria 🙂

You shouldn’t need more than 2 kilos of fondant, but it is a difficult question to answer as it will depend how thick/thin you make your decorations and roll out your fondant to cover the cake. I buy 5 kilo tubs and save it for the next cake!!

7. FirstTimeFondant February 7, 2014 at 5:38 am #

Hello! I would love to make this cake for my daughter’s upcoming first birthday. I will be getting a premade white buttercream frosted cake and will only be making the food decorations and caterpillar topper myself. How much fondant would I need to make these items. (Note – I will not cover the full cakes with fondant).

Thanks!

• BronnieBakes Admin February 7, 2014 at 6:22 am #

Hmmm good question! It will depend on how big the decorations you make are, and how thinly you roll out the fondant. I think a kilo would be more than enough though. 500g would probably be fine, but it will depend on how big the caterpillar you make is.

• appelbee February 24, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

Hi Bronnie

I have been admiring this cake for ages and have finally got up the courage to make it for my son’s 1st birthday next month!

One quick question – by making the ‘food’ in advance it will obviously dry flat. Is this not a problem when trying to stick in onto the side of a rounded cake? Or is the curve of the cake gentle enough that the pieces will stick flat to the side? I am doing a 9″ and a 12″.

Thanks!

• BronnieBakes Admin February 25, 2014 at 11:44 am #

Yay – I’m glad you’re giving it a try!!! It definitely is a lot easier than you think.

Yes, you are right – the food will dry flat and the cake is curved, so the entire piece of ‘food’ wont stick, but there is definitely enough to stick the piece on without it falling off. I guess that is the result of making the food in advance. you could make it once you’ve covered your cake, but then it means you have a lot to do just before the party!!! I always make my decorations in advance and don’t think it’s a problem.

All the best!!!

• appelbee February 25, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

Thanks!

Love your site. So many gorgeous cakes to try and create!

8. Anj May 5, 2015 at 12:01 am #

hello,

What do you use to stick the decorations to the cake! Attempting this for my kids 2nd birthday next month.

Thanks in advance for the help! Love the work

Anj

• BronnieBakes Admin May 5, 2015 at 7:36 am #

Hi Anj 🙂

I just use a dab of water

1. ‘THE’ Cake « SEVENo1 Designs - January 16, 2013

[…] until you are ready to use it. This is great because you can be super organised. Again I used Bronnie Bakes’s tutorials on how to make the food for the VHC cake so I won’t go into it. I added Tylose […]