Addison’s 1st Birthday Cake

A friend of mine’s daughter was turning 1, and after having years of boy parties, she was excited to plan a pink party 🙂

I was told to use plenty of pink with hearts and butterflies and you might remember the matching cupcake toppers I made earlier..

I made a caramel mud cake for the top tier and a dark chocolate mud cake for the bottom tier. The caramel mud cake is amazing and a great change from the standard chocolate mud. I use the following recipe (sorry – can’t remember the original source of this recipe!)

180g white eating chocolate, chopped
185g unsalted butter, chopped
220g brown sugar
80ml golden syrup
250ml milk
225g plain flour
75g SR flour
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan-forced.
Grease and line your tin (I think this recipe is for a 22cm tin, I used a 6″ and then made a smaller cake with the leftover batter)

Combine chocolate, butter, sugar, syrup and milk in a large saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth.

Cool 15 min.

Whisk in flours and eggs. Pour into tin and bake until cooked and a skewer comes out clean.

I layered the cake with a yummy caramel Italian Meringue Buttercream filling.

I then covered and stacked the cakes with my pink fondant (I used Americolor’s fushia pink)

I rolled out my pale pink fondant and cut out a thin strip which I then stuck around the base of the bottom tier with some water.

I then looped around some more pale pink fondant for the ribbon and stuck that on (see a tutorial here for a different type of ribbon)

For the peal edged border around the top tier, I used a First Impressions mould and stuck that on using water.

I then decorated the cake using small lovehearts & butterflies, all of which were made using cutters.

The name plate was simply made using my letter press and two rectangles of fondant

I used this plunger cutter for the butterflies and then dotted the outline using a toothpick and stuck some edible pearls in the middle. I placed them in some folded cardboard so they kept their shape whilst drying.

The topper was made with a loveheart cookie cutter (I stuck a toothpick in the bottom so that when it dried, I’d be able to stick it into the cake easily), and then I made an outline using some edible pearls. The diamonte 1 was purchased from Cakes Around Town.

, , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to Addison’s 1st Birthday Cake

1. Shona October 14, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

Just wondering how long you cook your cake for? Thanks

2. BronnieBakes Admin October 14, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

Hi Shona

It’s hard to say… I basically set my temperature really low (150-160) and set my timer for 90mins and don’t touch my oven for that time, and then I just check after 90 mins and go in 20min increments from there. It will depend on your oven and the size of your cake, but it will be cooked once a skewer comes out clean. My cakes take at least 2 hours to cook.

If the top ends up a little crusty… brush some boiling hot water on top and cover with foil. Leave overnight until it has totally cooled, and I freeze my cakes as I find mud cakes taste better after they have been frozen.

Hope that helps!!

3. Shona October 15, 2011 at 10:27 am #

Thank you bronnie! Great tips. x

4. Nicole April 14, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Hi Bronnie,
    Gorgeous cake!! Was just wondering what size cake this recipe makes? I want to make an 8 inch round cake, 3 inches tall and was wondering whether this recipe is sufficient (or needs to be doubled?)
    Thanks,
    Nicole (btw – I am Gitty’s sister in law in Canberra and have been following you blog for a while. Live your cakes, and your discovery trunks!!)

• BronnieBakes Admin April 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

Hi Nicole 🙂

I knew your surname looked familiar! thanks for your lovely comments 🙂

This cake makes an 8″ round – not a really high one though. Sorry- I can’t remember whether it is the caramel or white chocolate which doesn’t quite fill to the top of the tin. it will make a decent enough 8 inch cake though. I usually add height with some filling – the caramel Italian Meringue Buttercream (link is above in the post) is really delicious

hope that helps!

• Nicole April 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

Thanks Bronnie….I was going to try and add height with caramel ganache but perhaps I’ll try the Italian meringue buttercream.

Appreciate your prompt response 🙂

• BronnieBakes Admin April 16, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

All the best with it! Let me know how you go 🙂

5. Lisa Rib October 4, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

Hi thank so much i could never find anything with caramel filling do you know how to make chocolate and caramel mousse for any chance my kids love love caramel .. i was hopeing you could do a video of a christening cake for a boy im not that good in cake but if you could make a video of a fondant cake for a bot that will be great love love your video. Ty

• BronnieBakes Admin October 5, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

Hi Lisa

Glad you found my caramel IMBC recipe – it is really yummy! At this stage, no, I have never tried a choc caramel mousse. Trying to be good with my sugar! I did just post a video tutorial for making baby fondant shoes that would be really cute for a christening cake.

6. Caroline February 21, 2014 at 6:26 pm #

Hi Bronnie, would you possibly be able to post the conversion to cups/ounces for your caramel mud cake? (My sister is graduating college and I’m planning my first two-tiered cake – I want to do fuchsia and light pink like yours, and I’m going to make a girl in a fuchsia cap and gown for the topper. I want to try one tier chocolate mud cake and one tier caramel mud cake.)
    Also, for your caramel sauce that you mix with the IMBC for the “yummiest filling ever,” and for the cake recipe as well, where you call for brown sugar, is it dark brown sugar or light brown sugar? Tightly packed, loosely lacked, granulated (here they call it “brownulated”) or regular?
    Thanks again for all your help! 🙂

7. BronnieBakes Admin February 22, 2014 at 12:52 pm #

Hi Caroline
    I use the light brown sugar (the standard one that you would sprinkle on porridge?) and I tightly pack it.

For the conversion
    6.34931oz white eating chocolate, chopped
    6.52568 unsalted butter, chopped
    7.76027 brown sugar
    80ml golden syrup
    250ml milk
    7.93664 plain flour
    2.64555 SR flour
    2 eggs

8. Caroline February 23, 2014 at 10:58 am #

Thanks, looking forward to trying it out!

9. jezrel March 3, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

Hi Bronnie, just tried your caramel make recipe as well as the Italian buttercream frosting for a friend birthday yesterday….followed it to the T! 🙂 It was my first time to bake caramel cake and make Italian buttercream frosting and it a great success and was very delicious as well. Everyone loved it. Definitely a keeper. Thank you for the step by step tutorial, videos, etc. Greatly appreciate you sharing your recipes and tutorial. I am new into baking and your blog is a great source of inspiration. Keep up to good works.

• jezrel March 3, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

Sorry for all the typo, grammatical error….didn’t review before posting. 🙁

• BronnieBakes Admin March 5, 2014 at 9:46 am #

yay – glad you liked it! It’s one of my favourites. Thanks for all of your lovely comments – happy baking!!

10. Caroline March 6, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

Bronnie, your caramel cream sauce really is just THAT delicious! I just filled and frosted three layers of chocolate cake with it, to cover in fondant tomorrow, and it’s SO yummy! Thanks!

• BronnieBakes Admin March 9, 2014 at 11:08 am #

oh I know – it is SO amazing!!!!!! Glad you enjoyed it 🙂

11. Sal March 28, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Hi Bronnie, I am just baking this cake now for a party. Did you cover in ganache prior to putting the fondant over?

Thanks for a great blog! Love it, super inspirational.

• BronnieBakes Admin March 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Hi Sal 🙂

Yes – absolutely! that is how I get a nice smooth finish. Makes it easy to apply fondant when all the lumps and bumps have been smoothed over with ganache!!!

• Sal March 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks so much Bronnie. I thought so, I made up batch up thinking so.
        Cake has turned out amazing, now onto the Caramel Italian Meringue.
        Fingers crossed I can nail this fondant! xx

12. Dawn December 11, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

I’ve been looking for a caramel mudcake that could be used as a 6 inch tier for my 1st wedding cake for awhile now, this is Delicious & you’ve saved my bacon [or cake]. Thanks a lot

• BronnieBakes Admin December 11, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

No problem – its absolutely delicious! Even more so with the caramel Italian Meringue Buttercream filling 🙂

All the best with it!

13. Dawn December 16, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

Thanks a lot, I’ll work on the caramel ganache next I guess, if I can’t pull it off might just have to pair it with white chocolate ganache, they’ll survive 🙂 Thanks again.

14. Yeni December 30, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

Hi,

May i know how long need to bake if i use 9inch pan?
    Im afraid if i open the oven and its not totally baked yet, it will fail afterwards.

As i understand, u cant open the oven door when the cake still in baking due to some temp will change

Thx

• BronnieBakes Admin January 2, 2015 at 6:16 am #

It is very hard to say as ever oven is different! I always bake mine on 160 degrees and set my timer for 90mins and then start checking, but my oven is very old.

15. Yeni February 3, 2015 at 9:09 pm #

Hi,

I tried the caramel mud cake. Its quite sweet. Wondering if it will be very sweet when combine with the frosting

16. Jessie February 19, 2015 at 11:25 am #

Hi Bronnie

Just a quick question. Do you sift all your flours that you use in your cakes or just add it in as is?

Jessie

• BronnieBakes Admin February 20, 2015 at 2:33 pm #

Hi Jessie 🙂

No I don’t – I can’t be bothered doing it 🙂 🙂 Probably should though!!!

17. Tam May 29, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

Hi bronnie
    What flavour ganache would you cover cake with for caramel mud with imbc? White choc? Would it be too sweet?

• BronnieBakes Admin May 29, 2015 at 3:52 pm #

Hi Tam 🙂

I’m boring and use dark choc ganache for everything because its easier to work with!

I would initially think that white choc would work better, but it could be too sweet for some people. I think both would be delicious