How to make a fondant giraffe

In celebration of reaching my first 100 facebook likers, I asked everyone what they’d like a tutorial on and one of the responses was a giraffe (the other main response, being cake pops will also be delivered in the next tutorial :-)  )

Because I’m a caring, sharing sort of gal… here is the finished product! A girly giraffe because I’m going to use this topper for a friend who just had a baby girl and I had leftover pink fondant from the 1st birthday cake I made last week.

On reflection, her neck probably should be longer, but that is an easy change to make when you have a go :-)

Start with your fondant, tylo powder (so that the fondant hardens), some small circle cutters and your modelling tools.

Take your lighter colour and make a cone shape

Stick a toothpick through the body so that it is easy to attach the head.

Make a smaller cone shape for the head.

Indent the top of the head slightly using a modelling tool for where the eyes will go.

Using a circle cutter, make an indent for the mouth and using a modelling tool or end of a paintbrush, indent the sides of the mouth, the eyes, and make some nostrils.

Roll out two tear drop shapes for the ears and indent using a ball tool, before squeezing the end slightly.

Attach to the head using some water or edible glue and using a toothpick make two holes for the horns. Also add two small white circles for the eyes.

You can either roll out two smaller black circles for the eyes or draw them on using edible marker as I have done.

Roll out two sausage shapes for the legs and flatten on one side so that they are easy to attach to the body.

Roll out two sausages for the arms and mark the top using a blunt knife or modelling tool

Roll out your darker fondant and cut out two hearts or circles for the feet and then start to cut out your shapes for the giraffe pattern. I just cut out small circles and stretched them into shapes.

I also made a small flower using my mini blossom cutter and an edible pearl for the middle.

, , ,

17 Responses to How to make a fondant giraffe

1. Rhi November 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

I made this for my daughter’s first birthday on the weekend! Thanks for the tutorial, I was so happy with the result :) I also used your recipe for caramel IMBC…Delicious!!

• BronnieBakes Admin November 8, 2011 at 10:32 am #

Great to hear Rhi – you have to post some pics on the BB facebook page!!!! would love to see the cake and cupcakes

2. Shuswapcakes November 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

I was looking for a giraffe fondant tutorial – this is great! Easy to make, only changed the colors up a bit. Thanks again for some awsome ideas! :)

3. vira February 20, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Hi,
    Do the toothpick is really necessary? can we use extra strong edible glue to attach the head to the body instead ? just courage if it can be 100% edible. I’m awaiting for your reply, thankies :)

• BronnieBakes Admin February 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Hi Vira :-)

I definitely prefer to use something to hold the animal internally, but that’s just me! You could use dry spagetti and that is edible (although, not really something you’d want to eat!!!!!)

4. Jan March 2, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Thank you so much for this tutorial,love it your a life saver been looking for a step by step cute giraffe. To god be the glory…… where did you get your tools from?
    THANKS
    Jan

your kids are so cute……

5. Diana Cardenas September 26, 2012 at 6:42 am #

How long does fondant last after preparation?
    how do I store it? I want to do some animal faces with fondant to decorate cupcakes but I want to do them in advance…I will appreciate the answer

• BronnieBakes Admin September 26, 2012 at 7:31 am #

Hi Diana

I would add a hardening agent to your fondant like tylo powder (or use gum/sugarpaste instead of fondant) and you can make them quite a bit in advance. I have some from 6 months ago that are fine!! But personally I’d make them 2 weeks in advance. You just need to leave them in a cool place to harden and keep them out of the sun so the colour doesn’t fade.

Keep the rest of your fondant in an airtight container to use for next time

thanks
      Bron

6. Judy October 10, 2012 at 9:40 am #

Adorable!!! My daughter and I are making a animal theme fondant baby shower cake. Thank you so much for teaching us how to make the giraffe. Just wondering how soon can we make the fondant animals before decorating the cake? Can they be made a few days before? Looking forward to your other tutorials. Thank you again-hope we can make it as good as you. Love it!!!!!

7. Marie January 1, 2014 at 2:21 am #

Thanks for this. My little boy is 3 this week and when I asked what Birthday cake he wanted he asked for a giraffe. I don’t know why as he has never really mentioned giraffes but he was adamant this is what he wanted. Your tutorial was really easy to follow (even though I don’t have the proper tools I still managed it). I used yellow icing and crushed up chocolate buttons for the giraffes pattern. Really impressed with the result. Thanks again.

• BronnieBakes Admin January 1, 2014 at 8:39 am #

Thankyou for your lovely comment – I’m glad you had success with the tutorial and I hope your son has a wonderful birthday

1. Chocolate Birthday Cake with Fondant Giraffe | vanilla sugar steph - July 31, 2013

[...] so I won't be too hard on myself! I would recommend the online instructions I followed (see link) as they were really easy to follow. Despite the issues I think that the birthday girl liked the [...]