Farm Cake Tutorial – the Pigs

Today I’m going to show you how to make the pigs in mud from the farm cake

Start by mixing up some pale pink fondant into a ball. Using a modelling tool, make an indent on one side of the ball.

Roll out some fondant into a thin strip and using your fingers, roll the end into a coil and attach to the pig

Roll out two balls of different sizes – one for the body and one for the head of the other pig. Place a piece of hard pasta or half of a toothpick into the body and attach the head with some edible glue or water.

Roll out a small oval shape for the snout, attach to the pig’s head and using a toothpick or modelling tool make two holes. Roll out two small balls of white for the eyes and also attach to the head.

Roll out two cone shapes in pale pink fondant for the ears. Indent using a ball tool and attach to the head.

Roll out some chocolate brown fondant and cut out a shape for the mud. Stick the pigs into place.

Stick some small mud patches onto the pig and once the eyes have hardened, draw on eyeballs using a black edible marker (or by dipping a thin paintbrush into some black colouring).

9 Responses to Farm Cake Tutorial – the Pigs

1. Paula January 1, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I know I loved the duck with his face in the pond but these pigs (one face first in the mud) are adorable too. I can’t get over how tiny the little tails, ears and snouts are and your tutorial is wonderful.

All the best to you and your family in 2012 🙂

2. Shuswapcakes January 11, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Wow, thank you so much for the barn yard cake tutorial! Those pigs are soooo cute!! I’m going to be trying these techniques this spring on a “farm” wedding cake that I will be doing. Thanks! 🙂

• BronnieBakes Admin January 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Pleasure!! Glad you’ve enjoyed it!!

3. Homeschool on the Croft February 20, 2013 at 12:40 am #

This has to be the cutest cake decoration I’ve ever come across! I love it!

• BronnieBakes Admin February 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

Thankyou! 🙂

4. Julia February 28, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

I found a pic of the finished product the other day and loved it, so saved a pic of it to my phone… My almost-4yo daughter found it the next day and is begging for it as her birthday cake!! Looks like I have some work ahead of me… Thanks so much for this tutorial, I’m so rapt I stumbled across it while looking for pig cake toppers!!!!

• BronnieBakes Admin March 2, 2013 at 8:06 am #

You can do it Julia!!! Seriously – give the whole cake a try. It is much easier than you think and you can make all the decorations in advance. All the best!

5. Sarah January 7, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

Hi Bronnie,
    Love your tutorials ! They are amazing !!!! 🙂
    How far in advance do you make these cake toppers and how do you prevent the fondant from fading ?

• BronnieBakes Admin January 9, 2014 at 6:55 am #

HI Sarah 🙂

You can make them as far in advance as you like! They will just harden and be hard lollies (I’ve caught my kids eating old toppers a year after I made them!!)

Personally I would make my toppers no more than a month out. Just keep them away from the sun and they shouldn’t fade much at all.