How to make scallop edging on a cake

I thought I’d show you a short tutorial on how I made the scallop edging on Ava’s birthday cake

To start with, I found two bowls that were slightly larger than my cake tins

I traced around them onto baking paper

You can see from the above picture that the bowls/tins were about an inch larger than my cake tins

Cut out your circles and then fold in half, and then in half twice more

Using something circular (I used my fondant smoother), trace the shape against your stencil and cut (you could just cut by hand)

Roll out your fondant and cut around the scallop shape and then gently place on top of your cake

Repeat for the top tier

7 Responses to How to make scallop edging on a cake

1. Shona April 2, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Thanks for this! It actually looks much easier when you break it down – i can definitely attempt this :)

2. Paula April 3, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

This is a great tip on making scallop edging easier. Thanks for the tutorial.

3. Nat Mardon April 14, 2012 at 8:38 am #

I love you make all these amazing things look so easy for an everyday girl to try!! Thanks Bron!

4. Michelle November 3, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Thanks for the easy detailed explanation in your photos.. Will definitely try thisthe next time ..

5. Michelle November 3, 2012 at 11:50 am #

6. Margarita Hemmans December 4, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

Thank you so much for this easy tutorial.

I knew I needed to make a cake with the scalloped edges, but didn’t think about how to do it until today (I need it for Friday). I was going to “wing-it”, but decided to look online. Wow – I already made the stencil, I’m ready to go.

What a great idea, you’re a blessing, thanks again!

• BronnieBakes Admin December 4, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

Thankyou so much for your lovely message :-) I’m so glad you found the tutorial! All the best with your cake