Mother’s Day Cupcake Toppers

Who is looking forward to an almighty sleep in this weekend?? I know I am excited about breaky in bed and not lifting a finger all day (although will that just mean more mess for me to clean on Monday??)

I wanted to make a series of cupcake toppers for Mother’s Day, initially using a ‘You are my sunshine’ colour theme.

All good photos taken by Little Buttons Photography and all bad photos taken by me 🙂

I started by adding some tylo powder to my pink fondant, rolling it out and stamping out my rounds using a fluted pastry cutter

I also like to have a guide to what I’m attempting to make!

The first topper was made using the ruffle flower method (see video here). I used Americolor’s Red Red, Lemon Yellow and Orange to get my different shades (and soft pink for the base)

This next topper was made using a small heart cutter and my letter press from Purple Cupcakes.

The letter press sets come with an acrylic block which you attach the letter on

The next topper was made with 3 hearts of different sizes, stuck one on top of the other (I own a 3 sized plunger set of hearts, like this one)

When you are doing writing around a circle like in the above topper (ie one word on top and two on the bottom), it is easiest to imprint the two words first and then you can centre the single word accurately. I found this one out the hard way…

Wonky attempt No 1!

Attempt No 2 after imprinting ‘Mother’s Day’ before ‘Happy’

My final topper was supposed to be my sunshine, but i ran out of time and used a sunflower cutter instead

As with the above topper, start by imprinting the ‘You are my’ so that it is easiest to centre the ‘sunshine’ at the end.

The face was drawn on using an edible marker and I dusted some pink petal dust onto the cheeks.

I have used my favourite chocolate cupcake recipe, which is the only one I use and was from one of the most amazing blogs, Glorious Treats. And as per usual, I have iced the cupcakes with Italian Meringue Buttercream.

I hope you all have the most wonderful Mother’s Day 🙂

9 Responses to Mother’s Day Cupcake Toppers

1. Paula May 9, 2012 at 6:43 am #

I hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day too and all your cupcake toppers are very pretty!

2. Amanda W May 9, 2012 at 7:14 am #

I always wondered how people did lettering on cakes like that – those letter presses are pretty cool. And very cute cupcakes too!

3. Nat Mardon May 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Totally cute as always!!

4. Karen May 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

They are gorgeous Bronnie!

Where’d you get your letter press from?

• BronnieBakes Admin May 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

purplecupcakes.co.uk

5. Vish September 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

I discovered your blog few weeks ago and have been absolutely in love with it! Being a beginner cake/cupcake decorator myself – I really appreciate the time and effort you put into uploading free tutorials for us!

I just wanted your opinion on one thing. I’m about to place an order with purple cupcakes for these letter press sets and was wondering if I would need the medium acrylic block as well or is the small one that comes with it just fine to fit phrases on? I just don’t want to have to pay postage twice if the small one is too small. What do you generally use?
    Really appreciate your input on this

• BronnieBakes Admin September 27, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Thanks Vish!

I didn’t buy a larger acrylic block and to be honest, I just push in letter by letter as I like my letters to be closer together than using the block will allow (hope that makes sense!)

That said, I haven’t made any toppers that have the same word repeated so maybe if that were the case, I’d look at getting a larger block. The smaller block should be fine with the smaller alphabet, but you may need a larger block for the larger alphabet.

Bron x

• Vish September 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Thankyou for your reply – that certainly helps 🙂

Oh and I am planning a monster themed 2nd birthday party for my son in feb! Would love to see some fondant figurine tutorials around that theme 😉