Octonaut’s Cake – How to make Peso the Penguin

Next up in our Octonaut tutorial series is Peso the Penguin

Start with some black fondant mixed with a hardening agent (or black gum/sugarpaste), and roll out a ball for the head and an oval for the body. Peso has an unusually large head, so make sure you factor that in!

Roll out some orange into two teardrop/triangle shapes

Make 3 incisions for the toes on the larger side, flatten the other side and stick Peso’s body onto the feet.

I’ve also stuck on a white oval of fondant and a toothpick in the body before sticking Peso in some styrofoam to stand.

Next cut out a blue circle and cut a triangle from it

Cut out a white circle for the head and using a smaller cutter, cut out the bottom so that it looks like the top of a heart.

Stick onto Peso’s head and add two small black balls for his eyes

Using a toothpick or fine paintbrush, dot on some white edible colouring for the pupils

To make the hat, roll out some white fondant thickly and cut out a circle

Indent the circle using a ball tool

Roll out a white cone and stick inside the hat using some edible glue or water

Using an edible marker or edible food colouring, draw on the hat markings.

This is where you need to look away, because my drawing skills are AWFUL!!!!!!!

Add the collar to the body, a toothpick or piece of dry spagetti and the arms (I forgot to take photos, but see the tutorial for Ava’s penguin cake for the arm pictures and how to make the beak). Once everything is dry you can stick the head to the body.

6 Responses to Octonaut’s Cake – How to make Peso the Penguin

1. Rebecca June 29, 2013 at 8:39 am #

I have copied the design of this cake for my nephews birthday who loves the octonauts!! The tutorials on how to make the characters have been invaluable to me. They are fantastic and really easy to follow. So many thanks for your help in making a little boys dream cake a reality!

• BronnieBakes Admin July 1, 2013 at 7:35 am #

Thankyou so much for your lovely comment Rebecca. I’m so happy that the tutorials were easy to follow :-)

2. Sabine September 28, 2013 at 7:21 am #

Just wanted to say thank you so much for your tutorial – I’ve just completed my first ever attempt at anything like this and thanks to your tutorial I’ve just completed Peso and I’m so happy with the outcome …now to do captain Barnacles …I think my son’s going to be so happy with his Octonauts cake ;-)

• BronnieBakes Admin September 28, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Hi Sabine!

thankyou so much for your lovely message. I am so happy that Peso turned out so well! All the best with the rest of the characters – you will have to send me a pic of the finished cake!

All the best

3. Carleen June 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

I’m very new to cake making. And only make cakes for my kids. I really want to make this cake for my sons 3rd birthday. I was wondering (as it will take me a long time to make the characters)…how long do fondant characters keep “fresh” looking. And how do I store them whilst creating the rest of the cake and characters.

• BronnieBakes Admin June 22, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

Hi Carleen :-)

You can make them way in advance… in fact I have some that are over a year old and my kids have had a go eating them!!!!! haha but you just have to keep them out of the sun so that the colour doesn’t fade. Also – don’t keep it in the fridge. Just leave it out to dry in the air (so don’t box them up either). All the best!