Octonaut’s Cake – How to make Captain Barnacles

I hope you haven’t missed me too much while I’ve been away 🙂

The final tutorial for the Octonauts Cake is Captain Barnacles

Start by rolling a white circle of fondant for the head. Make sure your fondant has been mixed with a hardening agent or you are using gum/sugarpaste

Roll out two small balls of black and attach to the face with some edible glue or water

Add a small grey ball and two light blue balls for the nose/mouth

Roll out two balls for the ears and flatten them.

Roll out a smaller blue circle, attach to the ear and then stick the ears to the head.

Roll out a jellybean shape for the hat and using your finger, indent the middle (there is probably a much better way for doing this)

Pull up the middle of the hat gently with your fingers to get the right shape

Stick onto the head

Using a fine paintbrush or toothpick, draw the Octopus/like shape that he has on his hat

Roll out an oval shape of blue for the body

Roll out a circle of paler blue and cut away a small triangle

Attach to the body and then place a toothpick or piece of dry pasta to act as your support.

Roll out some white and cut a small strip. Attach to the body

Roll out a strip of light blue for the belt and add two small yellow strips and a dark blue rectangle for the walkie talkie (or whatever that thing is!)

Roll out a yellow circle and then attach a smaller grey circle and a small red triangle. Using white food colouring mixed with a little alcohol, paint on the other triangle (or you may want to cut it out of fondant – I found it was easier to get the two triangles to ‘match’ by painting on the second)

Stick onto the belt

I’m not very proud of the arms or legs! But the arms are simply two blue ‘sausages’ that are flattened at one end and have a white hand at the other end.

The legs are blue sausages with flattened light blue balls at the bottom. The legs are attached with toothpicks into the body.

Now you know why I placed Captain behind the ‘O’ and ‘M’…. so it would draw attention away from his bad legs!!!!!

, , , , , ,

19 Responses to Octonaut’s Cake – How to make Captain Barnacles

1. Betty Hockaday December 5, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Can I JUST SAY THANK YOU!!!!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING… My husband and I are extremely tight on money and this tutorial will help me make the cake myself!!!! I can’t thank you enough!!

• BronnieBakes Admin December 5, 2012 at 8:13 am #

My pleasure Betty!! I’m glad it helped!

2. Clare January 6, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Hi, I am going to attempt the cake and charicters for my son’s octonaughts party I also watched your you tube about covering a cake in fondant I saw you spray the water as the first step do you use butter cream under it?

• BronnieBakes Admin January 6, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Hi Clare 🙂

I use ganache underneath my cakes as I find it makes a better surface for fondant. I have my videos on that here http://bronniebakes.com/2012/05/01/basics/

3. Shellee February 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Oh my, this is brilliant too!! (thanks for the link)- and you have videos! I’m going to be stalking you now LOL! Thanks for sharing and providing inspiration & help 🙂

• BronnieBakes Admin February 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

hehe – stalk away 🙂

Thanks for your lovely comments!

4. Mel May 15, 2013 at 10:53 am #

When my son asked for an Octonauts cake, I had no idea what to do. I had never used fondant and was frankly scared to try. However your instructions gave me the courage to – such useful, simple and valuable instructions! And I was pretty happy with the resulting Barnacles who is comfortably waiting in a box in the cupboard for my next attempt – the Gup A for his party this weekend! Thank you SO much for helping many a frazzled Octonauts mum make beautiful kiddy memories!

• BronnieBakes Admin May 17, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Hi Mel

That is SO wonderful to hear! I’m glad you gave it a try and it turned out brilliantly. All the best making the Gup A!!

5. Krupa October 20, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial! My sis and I made this cake for my son’s 3rd birthday and it came our amazing! When I looked at the pics initially they seemed so unachievable. Your post made it so easy.

Everyone was so surprised and shocked. My son’s expression when we saw the cake was priceless. : )

• BronnieBakes Admin October 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

yay – that is great news!!! thanks so much for letting me know

6. yolanda white April 2, 2015 at 6:22 am #

Thank you so much for this…it was awesome and sooooo helpful..loved it…and loved making them..thank you again.

7. be June 30, 2015 at 10:39 pm #

HI!
    This is my first decorated cake. my 3 y/o is obsessed with octonauts!! How much sugar gum did you use for the octonauts? I want to buy supplies and I;m not sure about how much will I need. Thanks a lot for this wonderful tutorials

• BronnieBakes Admin July 1, 2015 at 3:25 pm #

Hi Be

Thanks for your comment 🙂 That is a tricky one to answer! it depends on how big you make your characters. I buy fondant in bulk and add a hardening agent to turn it into gumpaste. Just to make the figurines, 1 kilo is probably enough.

8. rita July 2, 2015 at 2:16 am #

How big in inches should captain barnacles be as I don’t have a measurement sheet?

• BronnieBakes Admin July 3, 2015 at 7:51 am #

It really depends on the size of the cake. I think mine was probably around 4-5 inches

9. Andrea September 2, 2015 at 1:56 pm #

Hello, Thank You for such an amazing tutorial. I’m planning to do it for my sons’ first birthday. I never have used fondant before so I have a couple of questions, I am planning to do my fondant with marshmallows and glass sugar, which Hardening agent are you using? Which colorants do you use to give the color to the fondant?

Thank you, love this tutorial.

• BronnieBakes Admin September 2, 2015 at 6:57 pm #

Hi Andrea 🙂

Thankyou for your lovely comment!! I use tylo powder as my hardening agent and I use Americolor or Wilton colours (mainly Americolor as I have a full set of colours) to colour the fondant.

All the best!!!!

10. Lb June 19, 2016 at 3:33 am #

Fabulous tutorial. Easy to follow and my octonauts characters look great. Thanks so much!!!

• BronnieBakes Admin June 20, 2016 at 10:22 am #

oh that is wonderful to hear! Glad it worked out well for you.