Basics Series: How to cover a cake board

Happy Monday everyone 🙂

I hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Just a short tutorial for you today about covering a cake board with fondant. I prefer the look of a fondant-covered cake board and always prepare one for my cakes.

Generally speaking, I cover the board the same colour as the bottom tier so that it flows well.

You can also use a letter press to imprint a message on the board

Here’s how I cover my cake boards (and yes, there may be plenty of better ways of doing this!! this is just what I do)

, ,

13 Responses to Basics Series: How to cover a cake board

1. Paula July 17, 2012 at 2:47 am #

Great tutorial and honestly, a much needed one. So often you see a beautiful cake only to find that the baker did not cover their cake board. The shiny foil covering takes a little away from all the hard work that the baker put into their creations.

2. Fiona September 25, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Hi Bronnie, a mutual friend (Jane) suggested I look at your site for ideas for my son’s 1st birthday. I’m inspired! Thanks for all the great tutorials. Am now feeling brave enough (or possibly insane) to attempt a fondant-covered creation. I love the idea of covering the cake board with fondant, it looks much better. But do you have any tips for transferring a lovingly decorated cake onto a fondant-covered cake board without attracting disaster? I’m worried I’d just ruin all my hard work. Maybe I should leave this for another day once I’ve practiced a bit. Love your work! Cheers, Fi

• BronnieBakes Admin September 26, 2012 at 7:38 am #

Hi Fiona 🙂

I started using a cake lifter http://bakingpleasures.com.au/p99/wilton-cake-lifter but now I just carefully hold the cake and place it in the centre of the cake board.

But – do the cake board a few days in advance so that it has hardened, and also, wait a few hours to put the cake on top so that it has hardened a little bit.

You are more than welcome to borrow my cake lifter – I can give it to Jane 🙂

• Fiona September 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Thanks for the tips that’s great. If you happen to see Jane then that’d be wonderful but no stress, I was thinking of using a cake board the same size as the cake covered in baking paper and hoping I could slide it off. I’m going to practice the actual cake, ganache and fondant this weekend. Filling it with ganache too so it’s one less job rather than making buttercream. Then I shall attempt making an elephant to go on top of the actual cake! Cross your fingers 🙂

3. Joxy December 8, 2013 at 12:57 am #

I just love your tutorials.very easy to follow..thanks for that…I am planning to do the decoration on my cake today and its my first fondant icing 🙂 do you have any idea how to get water drops effect on the fondant. thanks Joxy

• BronnieBakes Admin December 9, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Hi Joxy

THankyou for your comment 🙂

I’m sorry – I don’t! I think you could try buying an impression mat which could get you that effect – or you would have to hand paint them on.

all the best

• Sarah December 12, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

you could try dots of royal icing, but if it’s your first time making royal icing I would try it out on something besides your cake first! (a can, jar, something upright like that) to make sure the consistency is correct and it won’t drip. When Royal Icing is hard, it can be painted with gel food coloring watered down with a bit of vodka or clear vanilla extract.

• Sarah December 12, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Or you could try this:

I knew I had read about that somewhere. 🙂

• BronnieBakes Admin December 13, 2013 at 6:01 am #

Thankyou so much Sarah!! 🙂

4. jezrel March 4, 2014 at 2:43 am #

Another great tutorial. I needed to learn this one as well. Thanks for sharing your expertise. Much appreciated. 🙂

5. jezrel March 4, 2014 at 3:07 am #

Hi Bronnie, just wanted to ask how did you achieve that lovely turquoise colour on the first cake? That’s my favourite colour and I wanted to make a cake similar to yours but not a 3 tier. Haven’t done any baking lesson but a self-taught baker (since last year) and loving it. I’d greatly appreciate if you can share with us how to achieve that lovely turquoise colour. Thanks a lot in advance.

• BronnieBakes Admin March 5, 2014 at 9:45 am #

HI Elna

Thanks for all of your lovely messages! The colour is achieved by using the Americolor gel colour called “Turquoise” or you can use Wilton gel colour “Teal”

1. The White Stuff! « SEVENo1 Designs - January 18, 2013

[…] also covered my cake board. Which was very easy and gives it a nice finish. Bronnie Bakes has a blog on how to which is easy to follow. If you are covering your board do that first and let […]