Kathy’s Garden Cake

It’s my Mother in Law’s birthday this weekend – her last birthday in her 50’s ๐Ÿ˜‰ and she is having a weekend away with her Mother and siblings.

I’ve been so fortunate to have such a wonderful Mother in Law and wanted to do something special for her, so I made this garden cake for her to take away this weekend and share with her family.

The Topiary bushes were made using this fantastic tutorial by Royal Bakeryย and see here for a tutorial on making a watering can.

How cute is this watering can? Click here for the tutorial..

Wooden park bench (tutorial to follow). I like to think of it as one my father in law would have made himself – this accounts for the wonkiness ๐Ÿ˜‰

Garden beds with fondant gardening tools, vegies, and crushed up chocolate ripple biscuits for the dirt. Tutorial is here

Cauliflower..

Tomatoes and pumpkins

Carrots

Handpainted grassย video tutorial and inspiration from Bella’s Cupcakes and Blissfully Sweet (my two favourite decorators!)

, , , ,

7 Responses to Kathy’s Garden Cake

1. Paula August 18, 2012 at 8:26 am #

I hope your MIL has a fabulous birthday celebration. Happy 50th to her and all the best for a wonderful year ahead! Your garden cake is the cutest thing I’ve seen for a birthday cake in a long time. So creative and so adorable.

2. Shona August 18, 2012 at 10:38 am #

Really lovely Bron! x

3. Alison Lawson Cakes August 18, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Gorgeous cake, with so many lovely elements! Lucky MIL!

4. sagarika September 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Wow.. love it… its looks so simple and very very neat… simple ofcourse after ur tutorial :)… by the way I am still waiting for Fondant bench tutorial ๐Ÿ™‚ love ur turorials ๐Ÿ™‚

• BronnieBakes Admin September 28, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Thankyou! And yes – I had forgotten about the fondant bench! Hopefully I took enough photos – will have to go back and see ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Sarah May 31, 2014 at 12:46 am #

Hey, love the cake, I am attempting something similar this week, based on my mums garden. Did you manage to get the fondant bench tutorial sorted out. Would love some assistance with this.

• BronnieBakes Admin June 2, 2014 at 9:48 am #

Hi Sarah

No – I didn’t, but if you roll out some brown fondant, imprint the wood texture using an impression mat (or you can just mark in some lines using a modelling tool), and cut out 4 long rectangles out and leave them to harden. For the sides of the bench – I basically drew my own template using this kind of design http://ogbournestgeorge.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/fdt-01c.jpg – so just draw the side part on paper or cardboard and trace around it twice for each side part. Leave that to dry and then you can see that I’ve stuck on the two wooden planks using some water and the other two ‘seat’ planks are through the side part (I would have also used some water to stick them down). All the best! x