How to make Peppa Pig from fondant

One of my girlfriends had a Peppa Pig themed party for her daughter last week and I made her this cake

Peppa Pig Cake

Peppa Pig is a HUGE hit in our house (though why don’t episodes go for longer than 5 minutes?!!!!!) and so I wanted to create some tutorials so that you can all learn how to make your own Peppa Pig cake. I decided to make a photo tutorial for Peppa and a video tutorial for George and Daddy – so you can choose whether you want to hear my voice and watch me!!! Feel free to scroll down to the end to see the video. To make the top part of the cake click here.

To start making Peppa you will need some red fondant, black, flesh/pink skin colour and a darker pink fondant. All fondant needs to be mixed with a hardening agent like tylo powder or you need to use gum/sugar paste instead of fondant.

Fondant Peppa Pig

Start with your skin colour fondant and using a sugar shaper, squeeze out a line of fondant. You could roll out a thin sausage of fondant using your hands, but I really would recommend having a sugar shaper – I use mine all the time (it is brilliant at creating hair) and purchased it from here.

Fondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

Chop your line into two for the legs and squeeze the top of both lines together

Fondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

Trim the top of the legs with a knife and then set aside.

Fondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

Roll out your red for the body and shape into a triangle shape. Based on my prior figurines turning out too fat (this happens as the fondant hardens and your figurine slumps down a bit), I decided to start making my Peppa taller… but the first thing my daughter said was that Peppa’s dress wasn’t ‘triangle’ enough! Thanks Lily :-)

So.. you probably need to make more of a pronounced triangle body than what I have shown in this picture.

Fondant Peppa Pig

Stick the body onto the legs using some water. Roll out two balls of black for the shoes.

Fondant Peppa Pig

Roll the balls into ovals and stick onto the end of the legs

Fondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

Grab your skin coloured fondant and make a ball. I like to measure mine next to the body to check that my ball is the right size for the body.

Fondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

To make the head shape, roll the ball into an egg/cone shape

Fondant Peppa Pig Tap the smaller part of the cone onto the table – this will flatten up the ‘nose’

Fondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

Last step is to use your fingers to create the ‘chin’ part of the head – if this part is confusing, see my video below as this shows you more clearly how I did this with George.

Fondant Peppa Pig

Stick a toothpick or piece of dry spagetti into Peppa’s body. Add a small dab of water and stick the head in place.

Fondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

Wait for the head to harden (overnight – or at least 5 hours) and then using a flesh/pink coloured edible marker, mark on the mouth and nostrils

Fondant Peppa Pig

Roll out the darker pink and cut out two small circles for the cheeks. Attach using some water

Fondant Peppa Pig

Make two indents using a ball tool for the eyes. Roll out two white circles and attach using some water.

Fondant Peppa Pig

Roll out two teardrop shapes for the ears and attach using some water. I used a bottle of edible food colouring to place behind Peppa as stability for the ears.

Fondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

Roll out some more flesh fondant using your sugar shaper. Cut out as per the picture below for the arms and hands and attach the hands using some water. Leave to dry for about 15 minutes.

Fondant Peppa PigFondant Peppa Pig Fondant Peppa Pig

Attach onto Peppa’s body using some water – be very careful with the water as the red fondant + water can make the arms turn red! Use sparingly. Also add the eyeballs with a black edible marker or tiny balls of black fondant.

Fondant Peppa PigFondant Peppa Pig

For a video tutorial for how I made George and Daddy Pig see below

Stay tuned for the second part of the tutorial where I will be showing you how to do the top part of the cake.

Peppa Pig Cake Peppa Pig Cake Peppa Pig Cake Peppa Pig Cake Peppa Pig Cake

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to How to make Peppa Pig from fondant

1. Paula March 6, 2013 at 5:10 am #

Very cute! Love Peppa and friends and the wonderful cake.

2. Joyce March 6, 2013 at 8:31 am #

So cute and you are sooo talented!

Do you put water on the smaller piece you are attaching or on the main/larger piece?

Thanks for sharing!!!

• BronnieBakes Admin March 6, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Hi Joyce and thankyou :-)

I usually put water on the main piece… but it does depend. Sometimes I’m not very accurate with my placement and you can end up seeing water marks!!! When I attach a head, I will use water on the bottom of the head and on the body. But for the legs in Peppa’s case, I put water on the legs and stuck the body on top.

3. Rejuvenex June 8, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Admiring the time and effort you put into your site
    and in depth information you provide. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same
    unwanted rehashed information. Great read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

• BronnieBakes Admin June 9, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

Thankyou!

4. Lyndall August 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

I’m so excited to try making Peppa and George!! Thank you so much for this tutorial! My daughter and her best friend are OBSESSED with Peppa Pig so we are holding a joint Peppa Pig birthday party for both the girls!
    Can’t wait to start practising!!!

• BronnieBakes Admin August 18, 2013 at 11:50 am #

Hi Lyndall

thankyou so much for your lovely comments!! All the best with your figurines and I hope the party goes really well. You will have to show me the pics

ps – glad you found the lemon mud cake recipe…it’s AMAZING!!!

5. Amy jones November 18, 2013 at 5:09 am #

Thank you for this tutorial. My cousin has asked me to make a peppa pig cake for her daughter and his will be so helpful. Do you mind me asking the size of the 2 tiers of the peppa pig cake? I can never figure out which size tins look the best for a tiered cake, yours has a really nice sized gap between both layers. Thanks Amy xx

• BronnieBakes Admin November 18, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Hi Amy :-)

I used a 6″ and 8″ cakes – they are my standard ‘go-to’ sizes. All the best with your peppa pig cake!

6. Diana Vasileva November 18, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

Thank you for this tutorial. What is size of pepa pig and house. You write that 6 and 8 inches are long, but how high is cake. Thank you again.

• BronnieBakes Admin November 19, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Hi Diana

Thankyou for your comment :-)

It is hard to tell as I made this cake a while ago so I can’t be accurate. The peppa is probably around the size of a small finger (in height) and the house was around 15 high. Sorry I can’t be more accurate.

The cake was quite tall with all parts together – probably like the height of a standard 3 tier cake

• Diana Vasileva November 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Thanks :-)

7. Rachael January 19, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Its absolutely perfect, I am going to use your tips to make my babys first cake :) Thank you! Love the clear instructions!

• BronnieBakes Admin January 19, 2014 at 10:23 am #

Thanks Rachael – all the best with making your baby’s first cake! I’m sure it will look amazing :-)

Bronnie x

8. Kate February 25, 2014 at 8:51 am #

Wow ive just come across this tutorial and it is fab! plan to attempt it for my daughters birthday cake in a few weeks, I was wondering how long in advance I could I make the figures?

• BronnieBakes Admin February 25, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Hi kate and thanks :-)

You can make them well in advance – I have figurines I’ve made a year ago and they still look fine!!!! And my kids have sneakily eaten one as well :-) Just keep them out of the sun so the colour doesn’t fade. If you add tylo powder to your fondant (which I recommend) then the fondant will dry hard and basically be like a hard lolly.

All the best!!!

1. Peppa Pig Cake | Baking Amy - February 10, 2014

[…] to make most of my models a few weeks ago when the weather was cooler. I followed the tutorial from Bronnie BakesĀ and obviously my cake was inspired by hers. I’d never made fondant before but at the last […]