How to make a Vintage Lace Wedding Cake

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you have all had a lovely festive break and are enjoying the new year thus far.

At the end of November last year I was lucky enough to be involved in a very good friend’s wedding and I offered to make her wedding cake and dessert table (more exciting posts to follow!)

Vintage Lace Wedding Cake Vintage Lace Wedding CakeDessert Table was styled and equipment hired from My Sweet Event

My girlfriend’s wedding dress had gorgeous lace so we decided on a simple lace and ruffled flower wedding cake

Vintage Lace Wedding Cake Vintage Lace Wedding Cake

More tutorials will follow on other items on the dessert table and I’m featuring a special interview with the ladies from My Sweet Event about DIY wedding dessert tables and lolly buffets.

1461268_581370038584012_1508890_n

Enjoy!

, , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to How to make a Vintage Lace Wedding Cake

1. Lyndall February 5, 2014 at 12:09 am #

Very very beautiful <3

2. Shona February 5, 2014 at 9:36 am #

Well don’t i feel like a stranger. Just came for a visit (long overdue) and your website has changed! It looks super pretty! And the lace cake is gorgeous. Well done 🙂 xx

• BronnieBakes Admin February 5, 2014 at 10:22 am #

Shona!!! Welcome back 🙂 If it makes you feel better, I too have had a break from my blog 😉

• Shona February 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

Hehe I’m glad we are both back then 🙂

3. jezrel March 4, 2014 at 5:17 am #

Awesome tutorial. Beautiful wedding cake. Someday soon I will try making a similar lace decorated cake. Thank you for sharing.

4. Kelly Lee June 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm #

Hey Bronnie, absolutely adore this cake!!! Am wondering if you could give me some tips on how you transport your cakes? I am doing a 3 tier wedding cake and the venue is 2 hours from home… Do you stack and assemble your cakes at home? Thanks so much, really enjoy your videos 🙂

• BronnieBakes Admin June 2, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Thanks Kelly 🙂

I transport my cakes in the car… usually I push the front passenger seat back and have it on the floor of the car and transport the cake assembled. I do drive very slowly though!!!!! I think I would probably do that if I was in your situation as I like to have the cake completely finished before the event. Or you can try and get someone to hold the cake for you in the car 🙂

• Kelly Lee June 2, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Thanks Bronnie, will do just that as I really want to finish the cake at home. Hopefully Auckland traffic is kind to me. Thank you big time!!!!!!!

5. jezrel August 29, 2014 at 5:16 am #

Hi Bronnie, just found your website while looking for a tutorial for a wedding cake. I am making a 4 tier wedding cake for a friend getting married in sept. I wonder if you put any preservatives on the cake and how many days before the wedding day do you cover them with fondant and/or decorate them. This is my first time to make a wedding cake and am using your caramel cake recipe after reading lots of posts your blog about the kind of cake you use. Your tips will be very helpful about the Thank you.

• BronnieBakes Admin August 29, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

Hi Jezrel – no I don’t use any preservatives at all! I just coat my cakes with chocolate ganache which seals it in to keep it fresh. I usually bake my cakes in advance and freeze them and then 2 days before I defrost and ganache and then the day before I cover in fondant and add my decorations.

All the best!!

6. jezrel September 1, 2014 at 4:58 am #

Hi Bronnie, thank you so much for the helpful tips. Will definitely follow that and will use your recipes. Your tutorial are very helpful. I keep coming back to refer to your blog whenever I forget something. Keep up the good works. 🙂

7. jezrel September 1, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

Hi Bronnie, sorry it’s me again. Just a follow up question after watching your tutorials on applying ganache, etc. I am planning on baking a 3 tier wedding cake on 10, 8, & 6 inches baking tins using your caramel mud cake recipe and the Caramel Italian Meringue Buttercream filling. As for ganache, I wonder if you ever used white chocolate ganache instead of dark chocolate and if you have always used dark chocolate ganache to seal in all types of cakes (lemon, caramel, carrot or any flavoured cake) before covering with fondant. Or should I just use the meringue buttercream and let it set overnight before I cover the cake with fondant? Your tutorials have been so helpful in planning the first wedding cake am making next week and also had given me confidence as you’ve made it all too easy. This will be a big project as I’ve never made a 3 tier cake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• BronnieBakes Admin September 1, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Hello 🙂

Yes – I have used white chocolate ganache – most people find it ‘works’ with the flavours you have listed. However..it is much more temperamental than dark chocolate ganache so if the weather is warm I will only use dark chocolate ganache. And probably because I don’t sell my cakes and I just make them for family and friends its much easier for me to use dark chocolate!!!! if you use white chocolate the ratio is 2:1 choc:cream as opposed to dark choc which is 3:1. I would always use ganache to seal a cake rather than buttercream (using buttercream is what most decorators in America use) as it sets nice an hard.

All the best with your cake and feel free to ask me any other questions if you need a hand! The most important thing with a 3 tiered cake is to have the right structure in place – I use this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x5nupcCIng

8. jezrel September 3, 2014 at 1:31 am #

I don’t sell my cakes either. I am self taught and only bake for family and friends like you do. Will definitely try the white chocolate this week before I try the dark chocolate for the wedding cake next week. Your video tutorials are great and I like how you’re so down to earth. Will follow your advice. Thank you so much.

9. jezrel September 5, 2014 at 4:27 am #

Hi Bronnie, sorry I’ve got another question….hopefully the last one. As am using 12, 10 & 8 inch baking tin, by using your caramel cake recipe, would you recommend me to double up your recipe for the 12 inch, 1.5 for the 10 inch and just cut them in half or is there any better method I could do to make sure I do it right. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• BronnieBakes Admin September 5, 2014 at 10:10 am #

No problem at all! I always end up making extra batter, so I would probably start with the 10″ and make a double batch and fill it 1cm-2cm from the top and then make a double batch and fill the 12″ and any extra for the 8″. I honestly am not sure how much you will need – but you might need more than double for the 12″… so I would start with the 10″ and a double batch and you will probably use another double batch for the 12″ (plus the leftovers from either the 8″ or 10″) and then if you need to, make a single batch for the 8″. Sorry – my answer isn’t more succinct!!!!!

10. jezrel September 7, 2014 at 7:49 am #

That’s very helpful Bronnie. I’ve tried a few of your cake recipes and the caramel mud cake is my all time favourite. Thank you for all your help.

11. Jess October 13, 2014 at 2:02 am #

I am so happy I came across this cake tutorial! I am making a wedding cake next month and it will be the first time making a three tiered cake. The bride has asked for a three tier cake that will feed at least 70 guests and wants cascading flowers. Do you have any suggestions about cake sizes if I want to feed 70 people? Also, what sort of cake board would look nice and be suitable to hold up three cakes? Also, do you let your frozen cakes completely defrost before covering them in ganache? How far in advance do you bake and freeze your cakes? Sorry for all of the questions. I’m just afraid to leave it all too close to the date and run out of time. How far in advance do you usually make your flowers?

• BronnieBakes Admin October 13, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Hi Jess 🙂

Is the cake dessert? or will they also be serving dessert? To be safe, I’d probably do a 10″, 8″ and 6″ cake. I use wooden cake boards and stack my cakes using this method

I usually bake my cakes a few weeks out and freeze them and then two days before the event I take it out of the freezer first thing in the morning and then then I cut them as soon as they have thawed enough. But obviously if I don’t fill the cake then I only need to trim the top. I would make flowers up to a month in advance, but just keep them out of the sun so the colour wont fade.

• Jess October 13, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

Thank you so much for replying so fast! Do you have any idea approximately how long those cake sizes will take to bake? I usually make 8 and 9 inch cakes, but I’ve never made a 6 or 10 inch one before. Do you leave the frozen cakes out on the bench to thaw or in the fridge? Can I ganache the cake if it is cold or is it better to wait until the cake has completely defrosted? Wooden cake boards? Where do you buy them? Online/cake store/bunnings? I’m sorry for so many questions. Thank you for your help. I love all of your cakes 🙂

• BronnieBakes Admin October 14, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

HI Jess 🙂

That is a difficult question – it will depend on the strength of your oven and the temperature you cook it at and how high you fill your cake pan. I fill my cake pans pretty high and use a temp of 160C and with a 6 inch I set my timer for 90mins and after that check every 150-20mins depending on how wet my skewer comes back at. With a 10″ it would be more like 2.5 hours before I check it.

I always take my cakes out of the freezer first thing in the morning and leave them on the bench. If I need to cut it in half to layer it then I’ll have to wait longer until I can cut it, but otherwise if I just have to trim the dome off I will be able to do it an hour or so later (basically as soon as I can use my cutter, I will cut!!! Unless I forget about it) My cake is usually 90% defrosted when I ganache it, you wouldn’t want to ganache a frozen cake. I use wooden cake boards that I just buy from my local cake decorating shop rather than the cardboard ones – these ones https://www.cakedecoration.com.au/index.cfm?siteaction=stock&cat1=Boards%20Hard&cat2=Round

All the best and don’t worry at all about the questions

12. Jess November 12, 2014 at 12:13 am #

Thank you so much for your help. I have actually been making the chocolate mudcake from your website a lot lately and every time I am so surprised at how moist it is. It is actually perfect. Do you have any suggestions about buying fondant? I usually just buy it from the supermarket because I only make small one layered cakes. However, since I’ll need a lot of fondant, I’m assuming I’ll need to buy one or more of those large buckets. Do you have any idea how much I would roughly need to cover three layers – 10, 8 and 6 inches.

• BronnieBakes Admin November 12, 2014 at 8:18 am #

That’s a really tricky question because it depends how thick you roll it and how high your cakes are! I just buy a 7kg tub of Bakels brand fondant from my cake shop and it lasts for a while!!

13. Jess November 12, 2014 at 1:03 am #

Just wondering how you ordered your first impressions mould too. It is asking me for a five digit postcode. Does that mean I cannot order to Perth because my postcode is only 4 digits or is there some kind of country/area code to put in front?

• BronnieBakes Admin November 12, 2014 at 8:17 am #

Hi Jess

I don’t have that problem when I change the country to Australia??? It then changes from zip code to postal code.

Bron x

14. Jess December 15, 2014 at 10:33 am #

Hi Bronnie, just wondering roughly how high your cake layers are. I am using a normal sized cake tin and I’m thinking that the layers night not be high enough so I may need to do double.

• BronnieBakes Admin December 15, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

Hi Jess

Sorry but I can’t really remember… I’m pretty sure they are the standard size… so around 4 inches

15. Jess December 15, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Thanks for replying. The chocolate recipe is high enough, but the white chocolate and caramel mudcake never reach near the top of my 20cm tin so I think I’ll have to make double batches of those otherwise my cake might look strange with layers that aren’t very high.

1. Inspirational Wedding Cakes - Boho Weddings - March 12, 2014