Okay,Is this really a name of fruit?
Dragon? I am scared.
I am the kind of person who wants to taste every possible thing in this world.C’mon people we got one life (just one)and we have to live it to the fullest.
Now,I made a bucket list of my favourite and not so favourite fruits. I just wanted to eat every fruit in this world.Dragon fruit tops the list of course because it has a great name.
Feels like when I eat this cute dragon fruit ,a dragon appears in front of me.Just me and my lame jokes!
It was named dragon fruit because of its appearance.Oval – shaped with pointed scales and also the wavy edge of its stems.Its uniqueness or weirdness named it dragon fruit.
This beautiful fruit is native to Mexico(Southern part), Central America and South America.
Though historians believe dragon fruit originated in Central America.Nowadays,it is grown all over the world because of its demand.It is highly nutritious in nature.
There is nothing like peak month or time to get fresh dragon fruit.It depends on varieties.You may find one variety of fresh fruit in winter and one variety of fresh fruit in summer.So,it depends on the variety of the dragon fruit.
Still, June to September is the best time period to get fresh dragon fruits.Now I am going to tell you about the varieties of dragon fruit and which is the best month to get which variety of dragon fruit.
There are mainly three varieties of dragon fruits.They are described below with their colour and scientific name.
Also known as pitaya blanca.This variety of dragon fruit has red or pink skin with white flesh and balck seeds.Hylocereus undatus or white dragon fruit
is the most famous and grown variety of dragon fruit.
Also known as pitaya amarilla.This variety of dragon fruit has yellow skin with white flesh and black seeds.This is the sweetest among all variety.Yellow dragon fruit is quite expensive in nature due to its high demand.
Also known as pitaya roja.This variety of dragon fruit has pink or red skin with red flesh and black seeds.Red dragon fruit is often used in making smoothies and ice-creams because of its rich colour and taste.
This fruit behaves as cactus so it needs very little amount of water with a good amount of sunlight.Climatic conditions of Mexico , South America and Central America is suitable for dragon fruit to ripen well.
Farmers of Australia,Taiwan and California are also cultivating dragon fruit.
Dragon fruit is a subtropical plant so as the name suggests, the humid climate and little water is all the plant needs.
People are using dragon fruit to make pulp,jellies,juice, smoothies, ice-cream and fruit bars.There are so many food material in markets with dragon fruit as a main ingredient in them.It can stay fresh for longer time in comparison to apples, bananas , grapes etc.
It tastes a bit like kiwi fruit.It has lots of Vitamin C and fibre.They are rich in antioxidants.If you like kiwi you must try this fruit.It has a weird and unique appearance and scary name but don’t judge this fruit by its appearance and name.It tastes heavenly.
If you are a fan of sweet and sour fruit go for this weird fruit.It taste lies between kiwi and pear.
Strawberry pear not only tastes good but is also full of vitamins, minerals,fibre and so many essential nutrients.
100 grams of dragon fruit contains the following nutrition-
- 60 calories
- 1.18 grams of protein
- 2.9 grams of fiber
- 18 milligrams of calcium
- 2.5 milligrams of Vitamin C
- 0.74 milligrams of Iron
- Eating dragon fruit reduces cholesterol levels.
- Dragon fruit improves your digestive health.
- Dragon fruit maintains your heart’s health.
- It also helps in weight loss.
- It increases the level of hemoglobin in your body.
- It helps in making skin and hair healthy.
- It prevents cancer.
- It reduces blood sugar levels.
- Take your favourite strawberry pear and wash it thoroughly.
- Cut it into two pieces and remove the skin.
- Now , you can enjoy the red flesh or white flesh of your favourite dragon fruit.
There is nothing like side effects but some people are allergic to dragon fruits.
- Bad throat and swelling
Take a bowl and mix 4 spoons of dragon fruit.Blend it completely.For more convenience you can use a blender.Mix one teaspoon of honey and five to six drops of extra virgin coconut oil.
Apply it on your face and leave for 20 minutes.Wash it with plaine cold water and voila, you are good to go.
This face mask makes your skin much healthier and glowing.
How to make a dragon fruit smoothie?
Everyone loves a refreshing drink.What’s better than a glass of cold smoothie filled with the goodness of dragon fruit.
Now,I am going to tell you how to make a perfect smoothie with the help of dragon fruit.
I prefer it chilled ,you can make it normal also.
- 100 grams of dragon fruit
- 100 ml of orange juice
- 1 not so ripe banana
- 1 carrot
- You can also add your favourite greens.
- 1 cup of chilled water.
- 5 strawberries
- You can add a few raisins and almonds.
- In a blender add dragon fruit,banana , strawberries,greens, carrot and blend it on high speed.
- Now add 1 cup of water and 100 ml of orange juice.
- Pour it in a cup and garnish it with some dry fruits like raisins and almonds.
- Serve immediately.
- You can reduce the amount of water if you want a thick consistency .
- You can also use frozen fruits for chilled smoothies.
- I use banana for that sweet taste and avoid sugar.
- You can add a few drops of lemon juice to enhance the taste.
- Try to avoid adding sugar in this smoothie.